Sunday, February 27, 2011

how hard can it be?

for most of the last 19 years, I have been medicated.  between meds for the ulcer I got when I was 16, to the anti-depressants that I have been taking since I was 19, and then the pain meds in the last 3 years, I have been very medicated.  there comes a time, when you are taking so many medications, that you really can't tell if they are helping or not.

I have an IUD in to help with vertigo/dizziness/nausea and then am taking at least 2 medications that have dizziness as a side-effect.  makes it hard to determine if the IUD is working or not.

a few months ago, a medication vacation was suggested to me by a non-doctor person in my life.  I can't recall exactly who it was, but that isn't really important.  the important thing is that it brought to my attention that it was possible that I stop taking all these meds and then look at where my baseline is.  once the baseline is established, then we can take a look at the remaining symptoms, and know that they are really symptoms!  they are actually coming from my body, not from an interaction between my body and a med, or two or more meds.

this adventure started with me suggesting this to my general practitioner (dr.b.) and having her essentially laugh at me.  I have been battling a large amount of health issues, both mental and physical, and she did not think this was the right way to tackle things.  while she appreciated my logic behind it, she would not condone it unless I was in hospital during the vacation.

some time later, I was actually hospitalized for a severe episode of suicidality.  I suggested to the docs in the hospital that this is something I wanted to do.  they gave me a little placa-pat and then proceeded to switch lithium formulations and crank up the dose.  oh joy.

one benefit to the hospital stay is that I was kind of fast-tracked on the referral list to a new psychiatrist (dr.s.).  he and I agreed that we didn't want me on the lithium.  he wanted to wean me onto lamotrigine.  I was unsure, but it seemed logical.  this drug has some crazy side-effects.  
Lamotrigine prescribing information has a black box warning about life threatening skin reactions, including Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis.   
Side effects include loss of balance or coordination, double visioncrossed eyes, blurred vision, dizziness and lack of coordination, drowsiness, insomnia, anxiety, vivid dreams or nightmaresdry mouth, mouth ulcers, memory and cognitive problems, mood changes, runny nose, cough, nausea, indigestion, abdominal pain, weight loss, missed or painful menstrual periods, and vaginitis. The side-effect profile is different for different patient populations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamotrigine#Side_effects 
after reading the very lengthy information sheet that came with my new script, I started thinking more about this side-effect vs. symptom issue.  I want to be well, which often requires chemical intervention, but I also want to feel like my body is not a war zone.  at least not on the inside.  ;)


I brought up the idea with dr.b. again .  she was a little more open to the idea now that I had a psychiatrist dealing with managing my psych meds.  she decided that if dr.s. said it was okay, and he gave me instructions on how to wean off things, then she was okay with it.  hurray!  one step forward.


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment